A Breakdown of Files - A Refess Story

Strategies and Card File Construction

A Breakdown of Files - A Refess Story

Postby harvest4god » Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 am

I wanted to do a breakdown of major files for each sphere so that new people who might not have seen them will have an understanding of how they work and what they might need to create the file. I will start with Refess and work my way through them all.

Here are links to other Articles:
Falkow: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8293&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Gowen: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8291&p=112306#p112306

Lawtia: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8290

Eternal Morning or EM
This file is not as common as it once was, but it still able to hold its own in the current meta. This is a hard file to build for new people as it has a lot of rare cards in it.

Guaranteed cards (You must have these to run the file):
Sun and Birth / Weissvogel EX
Solar Prince / Verlaat 5*
Blessed Knight / Orfen 3*
Priests of the Royal Guard 1*

After that it is quite a mixture, but usually it will be level 2-3 cards. The idea behind the file is for Verlaat's start skill to turn it to morning (hence the endless morning), Weissvogel will give you +1 SP every turn it's morning giving you the opportunity to put out a level 3 every turn. And then Orfen will buff the attack of all units during the morning time. This file is considered a rush as your goal is to play a unit every single turn if possible. Prest of the royal guards is perfect for the Solar Prince it keeps him alive and buffs his attack. This can also be combo's with grims that increase defense like Key to the Holy Realm for a major attack boost on your entire field. The open for the file almost always the same. 4 to Refess, Emerald Carbuncle, Weissvogel, Verlaat. After this it changes based on the rival's field and what your own file would include.

Common Cards seen in EM files:
Boy Inquisitor / Cudgel EX (to handle fast cards or high level cards)
Lycanthrope [Seraph] 2* (sends cards straight to cemetary)
Lycanthrope [Angel] 1* (Targeted Damage)
Lycanthrope [Brahma] 2* (Targeted Damage, returns card to file)
Twin Wing Knight / Bistya 3* (Can return cards on close)
Twin Wing Knight / Glosfiea 3* (Can return cards on close)
Meeting of Kings 1* (can return Solar Prince to your file)

EX Lap
This is one of the most common Refess files out in the current meta. It is very powerful and can beat quite a few of the current metas (including pixies). Once more this is a hard file to build for newer players as it has EX cards in it.

Holy Knight / Lapierre EX (Technically this is the only "required" card, but there are a few more that I think makes the deck work best)
Elite Folrart Acolyte 1*
Folrart Knight Captain 2*

For the most part, the majority of the cards in this file are going to be AGI 2 or less and level 3 or less so that Lapierre will buff them with both start and auto skills. The idea is that all your units will have 10-20 DEF every turn to take hits, all the while their attack keeps growing. The open for these files usually is 3 to Refess and a level 2 tank followed by a will o wisp then Lapierre. Then they use this front openers to try to stall the rival while they build the field and Lapierre buffs the attack of your units higher and higher.

Common Cards seen in EX Lap files:
Sunlight Knight 2* (most common level 2 tank after Kaldrao)
Angel Knight / Silverion EX (damage increases on its own, plus will get Lapierre's start skill after first turn out)
Folrart Charge Knight 2* (can do extra damage to target unit if rival's units are engaged)
Servant of the Sun / Safiria 3* (ability to heal all your units and can engage rival's units)
Guardian 1* (A level 4 card, but gets all the buffs from most units start skills and can counter for big damage)
White Sage / Kaldrao EX

Shrine Knights or SK
This file is a possibility for new players and is still a very competitive file. All of the cards required in the file are 2* and come from the same set, so a new player could build this if they buy Set 5 packs (The Aftermath).

Knight of Shrine Zero 2*
Knight of the 1st Shrine 2*
Knight of the 2nd Shrine 2*
Knight of the 3rd Shrine 2*

The idea behind the file is to get out all your Shrine Knights as fast as possible and have zero to constantly increase their attack. If you have all of them on the field, then your AGI will be around 4-6 per unit depending on which SK your talking about. The goal is to kill your rival's units before they can attack you. As you can see, SK's are kinda weak in the tanking department, so it's best if they don't get attacked. I have avoided talking about Soul Skills so far as that's based on your play style, but for SK, revival soul skills are a good idea. 3rd Shrine Leader / Ridrea is a good choice to put as one of your soul skills. It revives a SK and gives them a bunch of buffs, including more HP.

Common Cards seen in SK files:
4th Shrine Leader / Elaice 3*
Knight of the 4th Shrine 2*
Folrart Shrine Knight 2*
Instant Revival 2* (Keeps a SK alive)
Key to the Holy Realm 3* (a great card to play after you field wipe your rival, it will protect you from soul skill damage)

Starmander or Big Refess:
This is also a viable option for new players as the required cards are low rarity. This is a great file that holds itself pretty well in the current meta.

Star Dragon 2*
Recovery Powder 1*
Unwanted Charity 2* (To protect from removal Soul Skills)

Technically that's all you "need" to run the file, but of course a lot of other cards will make it better, but I will get to those on the Common side. The idea of this file is to build up a lot of SP to get out Star Dragon and let his counter skill destroy your rival's field. That's it, quite simple isn't it :D The common cards are the most used, but almost any level 4+ Refess unit is a possibility (Heck you can get 2 Holy Dragons from level up choices). Also, for LP, you want 10+ for this file.

Common Cards seen in file:
True Holy Emperor / Retear 5* (He's hard to get, but well worth it if you have it)
Star Lord / Bastandorra 3* (A good replacement for Star Dragon once he's dead)
Veteran Folrart Paladin 2* (A good tank to use to stall while building up SP)
Guardian 1* (Same as Veteran)
Like the Hand of God 3* (Instant Death on a rival's unit)
EX: Sunlight Knight EX (Can be used to stall and build up sphere levels at same time)
Aura of the Holy Emperor 4* (Can revive a big unit and if it's your last one, bring the rest back to the file)
Salamander 1* (It's a gowen card I know, but if you play this on Star Dragon, you can get a counter off right at the beginning before any start skills)
Mage Knight Lancer / Marduk 3* (Falkow card, but can build up Refess spheres and SP at same time.)
Unkno5th Shrine Leader / Judie 3* (Buffs units level 4 or higher and can generate an SP on open)

Carbuncles
This is a very fun file to play, however, the main required card needed is EX so might be hard to obtain to play.

Guaranteed Cards:
Red General / Ruby Eater EX
Amethyst Carbuncle 2*
Opal Carbuncle 2* (The only level 2 buncle so far and he heals on open and has a chance to generate SP)

These are the only required cards for the file, but of course you want more carbuncles to play. Amethyst is there due to being a free revive unit. This is very important as all the carbuncles but two are level 3. The idea of the file is to get out as many of the buncles at once since they support each other. Ruby can hit any unit on the field but it is random so you may have some problems hitting the unit you want. The common opening for this file is 4 to refess, Emerald Carbuncle, Then level 3 buncle of your choice, (based on your rivals sphere)

Common Cards:
Diamond Carbuncle 2* (Drops attack of all rival, but needs to have extra buncle on field to be effective)
Sapphire Carbuncle 2* (Good against level 2 rushes)
Agate Carbuncle 2* (Excellent support in 2nd row)
Ruby Carbuncle 1*
Jade Carbuncle 2* (An excellent buncle that has a skill for if Ruby General is out or not)

Priest/TGC (True God Ghurch)
Thanks to Xovian

Guaranteed Cards:
Wandering Priest / Raste 3*
Sun Tyrant / Gilensa EX

The idea of this file is to stall while your HP and AT get boosted over time. The longer this file goes uninterupted, the harder it is to destroy. The ideal for the file is to get several priests out so that they can benefit from Raste MAX HP boosting, and using other units to actually heal them or using Raste's skill to heal all for a large amount. Gilensa is an excellent card that boosts the AGI and AT of one unit based on Max HP. Not to mention he has a reviving skill that can be used to keep that front line alive even longer. Most of the commons have a benefit vs various files, and can also supplement either healing or other abilities (Like Fortune's open). Like Shrine Knights, this file begs for certain SS, aside from any obvious removal SS, this file generally packs at least one Knight of the 2nd Shrine as an SS to improve the existing HP (wish should be pretty high thanks to Raste) of all friendly units and to fully heal them all. Most files do have a non-priest/TGC unit for front line tanking, but it is not required. Guardian is probably the best choice for this.

Common Cards:
Realm Guardian / Mayleen 4* (Full heals)
Priestess of the Holy Weapon 2*
Healing Priest 1*
Inquisition Night Raider 2*
EX: Beneficent Priestess EX (Great for boosting front line DEF and AT, plus it heals)
High Inquisitor / Fortune EX
White Sage / Kaldrao EX
Boy Inquisitor / Cudgel EX (very helpful against fast files and Bigs)
Girl Combat Priest 1*
Last edited by harvest4god on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 am, edited 12 times in total.
harvest4god

Re: A Breakdown of Files - A Refess Story

Postby angelspawn » Fri May 20, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks. Perhaps i will try the Big Yellow again, even though i lack Aura. Would be nice to have a little more input on how to play though since Marduk open doesn't exactly work & kills like Urgant. I have troubles getting both Bastandora+TrueRetear out aswell when Stardragon drains Refess spherelvl's.
Maybe i should spam 3x Charity on Stardragon to minimize the sp sink........

As for Ex Lap, Shrines & EM... It's true they beat starterdecks, but i'm kinda tired of the very bad matchups they can get aswell. Not looking for 1800~1900RP here, so i can't wait to see the real meta Lawtia/Gowen/Falkow 2000RP ones now. Do EN, Urgant, WK, BKR please. <3
angelspawn

Postby harvest4god » Fri May 20, 2011 10:36 am

angelspawn wrote:Thanks. Perhaps i will try the Big Yellow again, even though i lack Aura. Would be nice to have a little more input on how to play though since Marduk open doesn't exactly work & kills like Urgant. I have troubles getting both Bastandora+TrueRetear out aswell when Stardragon drains Refess spherelvl's.
Maybe i should spam 3x Charity on Stardragon to minimize the sp sink........

As for Ex Lap, Shrines & EM... It's true they beat starterdecks, but i'm kinda tired of the very bad matchups they can get aswell. Not looking for 1800~1900RP here, so i can't wait to see the real meta Lawtia/Gowen/Falkow 2000RP ones now. Do EN, Urgant, WK, BKR please. <3

If you are having problems getting out Bastandora and True retear, I recommend, playing Batoroa first and then True retear, then throw out star dragon once those are out so your Sphere levels won't be drained until after you have them all out.
harvest4god

Postby GonFreeces31 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:50 am

Drop a tank or dragon. Then drop marduck. Don't waste filespace on returns. Rake in the SP. Drop the bigs then win.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby angelspawn » Fri May 20, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks, will do. SP management is everything here though so i still have to find a way to make Marduk work. I'll try a Marduk + Guardian start and call out Bastandora later...

*edit*
So kinda like gon said. xD
angelspawn

Postby Kemious » Mon May 30, 2011 12:08 am

Carbuncles seem to be necessary to add to the list. And can I add my personal Mid Refess?
His blood is of iron and his heart of glass
He survived through countless battles
Not even once retreating
Not even once being victorious
The bearer lies here alone
Thus, my life needs no meaning
This body is made out infinite swords
Kemious

Postby LoneKnight » Mon May 30, 2011 4:27 am

If you have Marduk anyway, you may want to try some mass dmg grims. They trigger your own counters as well. But then, just using burning air may be more easy.
LoneKnight

Postby harvest4god » Mon May 30, 2011 7:52 am

Kemious wrote:Carbuncles seem to be necessary to add to the list. And can I add my personal Mid Refess?

Yea, I will add buncles, PM your Mid Refess.
harvest4god

Postby harvest4god » Mon May 30, 2011 9:14 am

Buncles added
harvest4god

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 am

BTW there seems to be stuff you could add for this new set maybe? Like something with kirin or maybe knights?
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum